By Good Food
Give this tangy fruit pickle away as a gift or keep in your cupboard for a colourful household condiment
Cook:1 hrs 5 mins
Nutrition per serving
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 red onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp black onion seeds (kalonji or nigella)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 pineapples peeled, cored and chopped into small chunks
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- thumb-sized piece ginger, finely chopped
- 250g soft light brown sugar
- 175ml cider vinegar
To sterilise jars, wash in hot soapy water, rinse well and dry in the oven at 180C/160 fan/ gas 4 for 10 mins just before filling. Once stored in sterilised jars, this chutney will keep for up to 1 year.
Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Tip in the onions and spices and cook for 5 mins until fragrant. add the rest of the ingredients plus 1 tsp salt and simmer for 1 hr until dark golden and thick. Pour into sterilised jars and allow to cool before covering.