Wild rice, chestnut & squash stuffing
Add a colourful and healthy dish to your Christmas lunch table with this vegetarian stuffing
- Serves 8
Nutrition per serving
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- bottom half of 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 200g pack cooked chestnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 sage leaves, chopped plus extra sage leaves, to serve
- 200g mixed wild and basmati rice
- 500ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 25g parmesan (optional) or vegetarian alternative, grated
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Tip the onion, squash and chestnuts into a roasting tin with the oil, chopped sage and seasoning, then toss well with your hands. Roast for 20 mins or until the edges of the squash start to tinge brown. If your oven is full, you can simply fry the lot together in a large frying pan.
Add the rice and stir to coat it, then tip the lot into a saucepan. Add the stock and stir well. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20-25 mins or until the rice is tender and the stock absorbed. Add cheese, if using, and tip into a baking dish. You can now cover and chill the stuffing for up to a day. To finish, heat grill to high, then cook until the top is browned and crisp and the stuffing is hot through.