Tutti frutti Christmas pies
If you’re not a fan of traditional mince pies or just fancy something different, try these with dates, apricots, cranberries and apple
Nutrition per serving
- 50g ready-to-eat dried apricots, finely chopped
- 25g pecans, finely chopped
- 30g pitted dried dates, finely chopped
- 50g sweetened dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 2 medium Granny Smiths, peeled, cored and very finely chopped or grated
- 50g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 25g butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tbsp cherry brandy or orange juice
- 250g plain flour
- 40g icing sugar
- 125g butter
- 150g white marzipan
- icing sugar or caster sugar, for spinkling
To make the filling put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well together. Cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
To make the pastry put the flour, icing sugar and butter into a food processor and using the pulse button, process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add 8-9 tsp’s cold water and process until the mixture forms a dough.
Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Roll out the pastry to 0.5cm thickness and cut out rounds big enough to fully line your tart tin. Fill each tart with a heaped teaspoonful of the fruit mixture. Roll out the marzipan and using a 4cm round cutter, stamp out 18 rounds. Place one on each of the tarts. Bake in the oven for about 12–15 mins until crisp and golden brown. Sprinkle with icing or caster sugar before serving warm.