Summery mushroom & truffled herb salad
A drizzle of truffle oil turns mushrooms on toast into an elegant starter, says associate food editor Barney Desmazery
- Serves 4
Nutrition per serving
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 thin slices sourdough bread
- 2 garlic cloves, 1 whole, 1 finely chopped
- 300g oyster and shiitake mushrooms
- 200g podded broad beans, shelled
- juice 1 lemon
- large handful mixed, soft herb, such as chervil, parsley, basil, chives and tarragon
- 2 tbsp truffle oil
Tip the vinegar into a shallow pan of boiling water, poach the eggs, then set aside in a bowl of iced water. Heat half the oil in a frying pan, fry the bread until golden on each side, then rub with the whole garlic clove.
Reheat the pan until really hot, add the rest of the oil, throw in the mushrooms, then fry for 2-3 mins. Add the chopped garlic, broad beans and lemon juice, then set aside. Reheat the eggs briefly in the cooking water, then toss most of the herbs through the mushrooms.
To serve, put a slice of toast on each plate, spoon over mushrooms and top with an egg. Drizzle with truffle oil, scatter with the rest of the herbs, then finish with black pepper.