Skewered sardines with tartare dressing
Try this superhealthy fish dish when you fancy something different for the BBQ
- Prep:20 mins
- Serves 4
Nutrition per serving
- kcal 400
- fat 28g
- saturates 5g
- carbs 1g
- sugars 0g
- fibre 0g
- protein 37g
- salt 0.91g
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 12 sardines, cleaned, gutted and heads cut off (ask your fishmonger to do this)
- small bunch dill, finely chopped
- small bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, drained and chopped
- 2 tbsp cornichons, drained and finely chopped
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in water
Pour half the lemon juice and 1 tbsp olive oil over the sardines, then rub it into the fish’s cavity and skin. Lay 2-3 sardines (depending on size) side by side and thread a skewer through the tail end and one through the head end, packing them closely together.
To make the tartare dressing, combine the lemon zest and the rest of the juice and oil with the dill, parsley, capers, cornichons and some seasoning. Set aside.
Season the sardines really well, then carefully lift them onto a hot barbecue. Cook for 3-4 mins on each side, carefully lifting the skewers to turn them, then transfer to a serving plate. Spoon over a little dressing and serve the rest on the side.