A Mediterranean one-pot stew with peppers, courgettes, lentils, sweet smoked paprika and thyme
- Prep:10 mins
- Serves 4
Nutrition per serving
- kcal 216
- fat 5.1g
- saturates 0.7g
- carbs 31g
- sugars 16.1g
- fibre 9.8g
- protein 12.3g
- salt 1.6g
- 1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 3 medium carrots, sliced (about 200g)
- 2 medium sticks celery, finely sliced (about 120g)
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 x 400g tins tomatoes or peeled cherry tomatoes
- 250ml vegetable stock cube (we used 1 Knorr vegetable stock pot)
- 2 courgettes, sliced thickly (about 300g)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 250g cooked lentils (we used Merchant Gourmet ready-to-eat Puy lentils)
This casserole is best if made the day before to allow the flavours to develop.
Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan. Add the onions and cook gently for 5 – 10 mins until softened.
Add the garlic, spices, dried thyme, carrots, celery and peppers and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, stock, courgettes and fresh thyme and cook for 20 - 25 minutes.
Take out the thyme sprigs. Stir in the lentils and bring back to a simmer. Serve with wild and white basmati rice, mash or quinoa.