- 2 unwaxed lemons
- organic or free-range chicken, about 1.8kg/4lb
- 6 bay leaves
- small bunch rosemary, broken into sprigs
- 2 whole garlic heads, cut across the middle
- 1½ kg potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tbsp sunflower, vegetable or mild olive oil
- 50g butter, very soft
TipThe chicken isn’t cooked
Your chicken is a bit bigger than 1.8kg or may have been very cold from the fridge. Put the roasting tin back in the oven for another 10 mins, then test again. Don’t worry about the potatoes overcooking, they’ll be fine.Pan too small?
Cook in separate pans, with the chicken on the middle shelf. Once the chicken is cooked, remove and rest, turn up the
oven and finish your potatoes.
Chorizo & paprika: Add 1 tsp smoked or sweet paprika to the softened butter and tip chunky pieces of chorizo into the pan with the herbs and lemon.
With honey-roasted veg: Switch the potatoes for big chunks of carrot, squash,
red onion and any other roots you like. Add a squeeze of honey to the pan along with the herbs, omitting the lemon.