Prawn & melon salad
By Tom Kime
Tom Kime’s prawn salad make a great starter for a summer dinner party
- Prep:50 mins
- Serves 6
Nutrition per serving
- kcal 201
- fat 10g
- saturates 2g
- carbs 16g
- sugars 1g
- fibre 1g
- protein 13g
- salt 0.68g
- 1 garlic clove
- a handful of coriander stems or roots
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, plus 1 tsp chopped to garnish
- 2cm/¾in piece of root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- juice of 3 limes and 1½ oranges
- 1 small watermelon, weighing about 1.8kg/4lb
- 24 large cooked and peeled tiger prawns
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 trimmed stems of lemongrass, finely sliced
- 4cm/1½in root ginger, peeled, cut into fine matchsticks
- zest of 1 lime
- 3 lime leaves, shredded (optional)
- a handful each of coriander and mint leaves, chopped
- 100g roasted salted peanuts or cashews, to garnish
Three hours before serving: make the dressing. Put the garlic and coriander in a food processor with 1 tsp salt and the sugar, then pulse to a pulp. Add the chilli, ginger and citrus juices and pulse until smooth. Cover and chill.
Two hours before serving: cut the watermelon into segments, remove the skin and seed the flesh. Cut into lozenges about 3cm wide.
Mix the melon and prawns and add the spring onions, lemongrass, ginger, lime zest and lime leaves. Chill.
To serve: toss the dressing and herbs into the salad and scatter with chilli and peanuts.