Pan-fried mackerel fillets with beetroot & fennel
Mackerel fillets contain beneficial fats, are quick to cook, and really complement this earthy and vibrant salad with a yogurt dressing
- Prep:10 mins
- Serves 2
Nutrition per serving
- kcal 397
- fat 24g
- saturates 5g
- carbs 15g
- sugars 15g
- fibre 5g
- protein 27g
- salt 0.4g
- 2 mackerel fillets (about 300g/11oz)
- 2 tsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- ½ small fennel bulb, quartered and very thinly sliced
- 1 small beetroot, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 100g cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 eating apple, cored, quartered and sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice plus lemon wedges, to serve
- 100g full-fat natural bio yoghurt
- small pack dill
Put one of the mackerel fillets on a board and cut a ‘V’ down the centre, either side of the pin bones, to create two smaller fillets, then remove the bones. Repeat with the other fillet. Rub with the oil and season with plenty of ground black pepper. Set aside.
Put the fennel in a bowl with the beetroot, cucumber and apple. Drizzle over the lemon juice, add the yogurt and mix well. Roughly chop the dill, putting aside a few fronds to garnish, and scatter over the salad, then season with ground black pepper and toss together lightly. Set aside.
Put a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. When hot, add the fish, skin-side down, and cook for 2 1/2 mins. Flip the fish over and cook for 30 secs on the other side.
Put the fillets on top of the salad and serve with the dill fronds and lemon wedges for squeezing over.