Contains pork – recipe is for non-Muslims only
Try this superhealthy, traditionally spicy recipe
- Prep:45 mins
- Serves 4
Nutrition per serving
- kcal 537
- fat 16g
- saturates 5g
- carbs 87g
- sugars 0g
- fibre 2g
- protein 18g
- salt 0.94g
- 400g can chopped tomatoes with garlic
- 1 canful of easy-cook rice
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 chorizo or other spicy sausages, about 200g/8oz, skinned and chunkily chopped
- 2 handfuls of frozen sweetcorn kernels or a 198g can, drained
- a large sprinkling of Cajun seasoning
- a small handful of parsley, chopped (optional)
- 142ml tub soured cream
Tip the tomatoes into a large microwavable bowl. Fill the empty can with rice and tip it into the bowl, then fill the can with water and pour it in. Stir in the pepper, chorizo, sweetcorn, Cajun seasoning and some salt and pepper to season.
Cover the bowl with cling film and pierce a couple of holes in it with a knife. Microwave the rice for 10 minutes at 750W. Tear off the cling film and give everything a really good stir, then return the uncovered bowl to the microwave for another 12-15 minutes until the rice is done.
Take the bowl out of the microwave, cover it with a plate and leave to stand for 5 minutes before stirring in the parsley, if you are using it. Serve the jambalaya straight from the bowl, with the soured cream to spoon over it.