Mango chicken, bean & rice bake
Drumsticks are ideal for an all-in-one traybake – the rice, beans and spicy seasoning make it a little like Caribbean jerk chicken
Cook:1 hrs 10 mins
- Serves 4
Nutrition per serving
- small bunch spring onions, chopped
- thumb-sized piece ginger, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed if you don't like it too hot
- small handful coriander, stalks roughly chopped and leaves picked
- 1 tbsp thyme leaf
- zest and juice 1 lime, plus 1 lime cut into wedges to serve
- 1½ tsp ground allspice
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 300g long grain rice
- 400g can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, stoned and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 200g mango chutney, plus extra to serve (optional)
Put the spring onions, ginger, garlic, chilli, coriander stalks, thyme, lime zest and juice, allspice and oil in a food processor, then blend to a paste. Pour over the chicken drumsticks and leave to marinate for at least 1 hr, or preferably up to 1 day.
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Tip the rice and beans into a large roasting tin with deep sides. Remove the chicken from the marinade and set aside. Mix the stock into the marinade in the bowl and stir well. Pour the stock over the rice and beans, then put the chicken drumsticks and the mango pieces on top. Cover the tray tightly with foil and bake for 30 mins.
Take the tray out of the oven and remove the foil. Increase the temperature to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Spoon the mango chutney over the drumsticks and return to the oven, uncovered, for 35-40 mins, to brown the chicken pieces and allow the rice to absorb all the liquid. Before serving, fluff up the rice a little with a fork and scatter with the coriander leaves. Serve with lime wedges and extra mango chutney, if you like.