Easy cheese fondue
By Good Food
Using mild cheese means everyone in the family can enjoy this classic starter
- Serves 8
Nutrition per serving
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 250g cheddar, grated
- 250g Gruyère, grated
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 4 thick slices bread, such as sourdough, chopped into chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, cut into batons
- 2 peppers, deseeded and cut into strips
- 2 celery sticks, thickly sliced
- 200g pack mini salami or 1 thin salami cut into bite-size chunks
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Mix the vinegar with the cornflour and place in a heatproof bowl with the cheeses. Set over a pan of boiling water. Slowly melt the cheese, stirring occasionally. When it’s nearly melted, add the crème fraîche and a little black pepper, if you like. Lower the heat and keep warm.
To make croutons, toss the bread in the oil and a little seasoning on a baking sheet, then bake for 10-15 mins until golden and crisp.
To serve, put the cheese fondue on a large platter and arrange the croutons, veg and salamis alongside it.