Croque madame with spinach salad
By Good Food
Contains pork – recipe is for non-Muslims only
Enjoy a snack supper with a touch of je ne sais quoi, with this indulgent recipe for one
- Serves 1
Nutrition per serving
- 1 thick slice crusty white bread
- 1½ tsp wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- 2 thin slices ham, trimmed of fat
- 50g mature cheddar or other melting cheese, grated
- ½ tsp cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp mild olive oil, plus a little for frying
- 1 egg
- handful baby-leaf spinach from 100g bag
- few cornichons (optional)
TipUse up the spinach: Fast spinach soup for one
Finely chop 2 spring onions and 1 small garlic clove, then soften in a knob of butter for 3 mins. Add 1 floury potato, grated and 150ml each milk and stock, then simmer for 5 mins. Add the remaining spinach from the bag, stir until wilted, then whizz until smooth with a stick blender. Season and serve.
Heat grill to high and lightly toast the bread on both sides. Spread 1 tsp mustard over one side, then top with the ham and cheese. Whisk the remaining mustard and vinegar with 1 tsp oil and seasoning.
Grill the croque for 3 mins, or until the cheese is bubbling and turning golden. Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan. Add a little oil, then crack in the egg and gently fry to your liking. When cooked, lift it on top of the toast. Toss the dressing with the spinach, and cornichons if using, then eat straight away.