Christmas pigs in blankets casserole
Use up leftover pigs in blankets from Christmas, along with carrots and parsnips, to make this easy casserole. It’s a great way to avoid festive food waste
Cook:1 hrs 10 mins
- Serves 4
Nutrition per serving
- 2 medium carrots (about 100g), cut into thick slices
- 2 small parsnips (about 80g), peeled, woody cores removed and cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 16 chipolata-sized pigs in blankets or 8 larger ones
- 39g sachet Colman’s Sausage Casserole Mix
- 2 tsp wine or cider vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp cream or crème fraîche (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped soft herbs, such as basil or parsley
- mashed potato or leftover roasties (see tip), to serve
LEFTOVER COOKED PIGS IN BLANKETS?If you've aleady cooked the pigs in blankets, add them with the Colman’s Sausage Casserole mix, instead of earlier.
LEFTOVER ROASTIES?To serve with leftover roast potatoes, put them on a baking tray and lightly crush with the back of a fork so they split. Heat in the oven alongside the casserole for 40 mins.
Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Put the carrots, parsnips and onion in a deep baking dish or casserole, and toss in the oil. Season well and roast for 20 mins. Add the pigs in blankets and roast for a further 10-15 mins or until the bacon begins to crisp a little.
Reduce the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Mix the sachet of Colman’s Sausage Casserole Mix with 300ml water in a jug. Add to the baking dish along with the vinegar. Cook for another 40 mins. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Swirl through the cream, if using, and scatter over the chopped herbs. Serve with mashed potatoes or leftover roasties.