Chickpea soup with coriander & lime
By Good Food
A thick warm soup with a zesty taste – your vegetarian friends will thank you for the recipe too!
- Serves 4
Nutrition per serving
- 75g butter, softened
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, plus extra to garnish
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp each ground coriander and cumin
- 2 x 410g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1.2l vegetable stock
Cream together the butter, fresh coriander, lime zest and seasoning. Spoon onto greaseproof paper and roll up into a sausage shape. Place in the freezer.
Heat oil in a pan, then fry onion for 2-3 mins until softened. Add pepper, garlic and 1 chilli. Cook for 2-3 mins, stirring, then add ground coriander and cumin and cook for a further min.
Stir in chickpeas and stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer, uncovered, for 15 mins. Whizz with a hand blender until smooth. Return to the pan to heat through. Stir in the lime juice, then season. Serve topped with a slice of the butter, remaining chilli and fresh coriander. Serve with warm pitta bread.