- Takes 1 hour 10 minutes-1 hour 20 minutes
- Serves 4
Nutrition per serving
- kcal 140
- fat 9g
- saturates 1g
- carbs 14g
- sugars 8g
- fibre 2g
- protein 2g
- salt 0g
- 6 very large vine tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus a drizzle
- 1 scant tbsp balsamic vinegar, plus extra
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- about 2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- a small handful fresh basil leaves, finely sliced
Preheat the oven to 160C/gas 3/fan 140C. Put a griddle pan or heavy cast iron frying pan (not non-stick) over a high flame and leave it to heat.
Cut the tomatoes in half around the equator. Brush the cut surfaces with 1 tbsp of oil and place cut side-down on the hot griddle. Cook undisturbed for 1 minute, then take the pan off the heat.
Transfer the tomatoes, cut side-up, to a shallow baking dish. Brush cut surfaces with the vinegar, then with about 2 tbsp of oil. Place a sliver or two of garlic on each tomato, and sprinkle with the sugar.
Bake for about 1 hour until the tomatoes are deep brown and sticky-looking. Cool a little, then finish with a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar, extra oil and a scattering of basil. Serve warm or at room temperature.