Bring the taste of Turkey to your kitchen with these fun lamb pittas, great hand held food
- Serves 4
Nutrition per serving
- 4 lamb leg steaks
- 2 tsp seasoning (we used Schwartz Lamb Simply Shake seasoning)
- 1 tsp dried oregano, or mixed herbs would do
- small bunch mint, leaves only, chopped
- 2 x 150g tubs low-fat plain yogurt
- 4 pitta breads, white or wholemeal
- ½ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges for squeezing, optional
If you can’t find lamb seasoning in the shops, add your own flavours by mixing 1 tsp each of ground cumin and coriander and 1 crushed garlic clove into the yogurt, mint and oregano mix.
Heat grill to high. Season the lamb, then grill for 2 mins on each side until browned, but still very rare. Meanwhile, mix the seasoning, oregano and half of the mint into one of the tubs of yogurt, smother this over the lamb, then return to the grill for another 2-3 mins or until the yogurt is blistered and the meat is cooked to your liking.
Leave the meat to rest on a board for a few mins while you toast the pittas, shred the lettuce and thinly slice the red onion. Stir the rest of the mint into the second tub of yogurt. Thickly slice the meat and stuff into the pitta bread with the salad and minted yogurt. Squeeze over lemon juice before tucking in, if you like.