Sweet & sour chicken & veg
By Good Food
A trusty takeaway favourite just got superhealthy. Make ahead and freeze for Friday!
- Prep:20 mins
- Serves 4
Nutrition per serving
- kcal 230
- fat 4g
- saturates 1g
- carbs 30g
- sugars 24g
- fibre 4g
- protein 20g
- salt 0.26g
- 425g can pineapple chunks, drained, juice reserved
- 2 tbsp each tomato ketchup, malt vinegar and cornflour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 1 red and green pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 125g packs baby corn, sliced lengthways
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- cooked rice, to serve
Make the sweet & sour sauce by whisking together the pineapple juice, tomato ketchup, malt vinegar and cornflour. There should be 300ml – add water or stock if you’re short.
Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok over a high heat. Add the onion, chilli, peppers, carrots and chicken and stir-fry for 3-5 mins until the vegetables are starting to soften and the chicken is almost cooked.
Add the corn and sauce. Bubble for 2 mins, add tomatoes and cook for 2 mins until the sauce thickens, the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are tender. Serve with rice, if you like.