Slow cooker chilli con carne
Use whichever beans you have in the cupboard for this richly spiced beef and chipotle slow cooker chilli. It's a perfect meal to prepare for busy weeknights
Nutrition per serving
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 500g beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 large red pepper, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2-3 tbsp chipotle chilli paste
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400ml beef stock
- 2 x 400g can black beans, drained
- 4 small squares dark chocolate
- tortilla chips or cooked rice and soured cream, to serve
Set the slow cooker to low. Heat 1½ tbsp oil in a large, non-stick pan over a high heat and fry the mince for 10-12 mins or until evenly browned. Tip into the slow cooker.
Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Fry the onion, celery and pepper for 10 mins or until softened. Add the garlic, cumin and paprika and fry for 1 min. Tip into the slow cooker. 3 Stir in the oregano, chipotle paste, tomato purée, tomatoes and stock. Season. Cover and cook for 6-8 hrs.
Stir in the oregano, chipotle paste, tomato purée, tomatoes and stock. Season. Cover and cook for 6-8 hrs.
Stir in the beans and chocolate during the final 30 mins of cooking. Serve with a bowl of rice or tortilla chips and a dollop of soured cream.