Delicious lamb, potato and vegetable dish – a hearty seasonal meal that you can make a day ahead
- Takes 2-2¼ hours
- Serves 6
- More effort
Nutrition per serving
- 6 large boned leg lamb steaks, total weight about 1¼kg/2lb 12oz
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 350g Charlotte potatoes, scrubbed or peeled and halved lengthways if large
- 2 large leeks, trimmed (with some green left on) and halved both lengthways and crosswise, then washed
- 3 large carrots, peeled and halved both lengthways and crosswise
- 6 small or 2 medium turnips, peeled, cut into thick rounds
- 1 lamb stock cube
- 4 tsp plain flour
- 100ml dry white wine
- about 12 fat continental spring onions, white and green parts
- several sprigs of flatleaf parsley and lemon thyme
- 3 tbsp single or whipping cream
- 1 unwaxed lemon
- chopped fresh parsley and/or lemon thyme
TipA different cut
If you can't get lamb leg steaks, buy a 1.25kg/2lb 12oz boned leg of lamb and cut into six.
Halve the lamb steaks and cut off any excess fat. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil over a medium heat in a large flameproof casserole that has a tight-fitting lid. Fry the lamb until it 'seizes' – it should be a little coloured all over but not charred. Bring a kettle of water to the boil.
Transfer the lamb to a plate and rinse out the casserole. Add the veg (but not the spring onions) and cover with boiling water. Season and cook for 15 minutes, then drain into a colander over a bowl. Measure 450ml/16fl oz of the cooking liquid, crumble in the stock cube and stir to dissolve.
Mop the fatty juices from the lamb with kitchen paper. Heat the remaining oil in the casserole over a medium-high heat. Add the lamb, season and sprinkle with the flour, then stir for a minute. Tip in the stock, wine, onions and herbs and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low, cover and cook gently for 1 hour, stirring a few times.
Add the veg and stir well, cover and cook for a further 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. (Cool then freeze for up to 1 month or keep chilled for up to 24 hours.)
Lift out the meat and veg into a warm serving bowl.With the casserole over a low heat, stir in the cream, grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in the juice. Adjust the seasoning, spoon over the lamb and veg, sprinkle with herbs and serve.