Mozzarella, pepper & aubergine calzone
Try these healthy Italian-inspired mozzarella, pepper and aubergine calzones for a working lunch, or pack up and eat outdoors on a warm day
- Prep:15 mins
- Serves 4
Nutrition per serving
- kcal 523
- fat 13g
- saturates 5g
- carbs 71g
- sugars 7g
- fibre 15g
- protein 24g
- salt 0.7g
- 400g strong wholewheat bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- ⅛ tsp salt (optional)
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil, plus extra for the baking sheet
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into small chunks
- 1 large aubergine, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- small bunch basil, roughly torn
- 8 pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 125g ball mozzarella (drained weight), quartered
- milk or beaten egg, for brushing
Put the flour, salt (if using), yeast, oil and 300ml lukewarm water in a bowl and mix until soft. Knead into a ball (try not to add any extra flour) – it will be sticky but the flour will absorb some moisture. Return to the bowl, cover and leave somewhere warm.
Meanwhile, make the filling. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan, then stir-fry the peppers for about 1 min until they start to soften. Add the aubergine and garlic and continue to cook over a medium heat for 8-10 mins, gently pressing the veg with a wooden spoon until it breaks down a little. If it doesn’t, fry, covered, for a few extra mins.
Stir in the tomato purée, vinegar and 2 tbsp water. When the veg is soft, remove the pan from the heat and stir through the basil.
Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Quarter the risen dough and roll each piece out to a 20cm circle on a lightly floured surface. Spoon a quarter of the filling over one side, scatter over a quarter of the olives, top with a quarter of the cheese, and brush the edges with the milk or beaten egg. Fold the dough over the filling and pinch the edges together at the side, a bit like making a Cornish pasty. Lift onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and brush with more milk or beaten egg. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling to make four calzones, then bake for 15-20 mins until golden. Leave to cool slightly and serve at room temperature.