- 250g dried chickpeas
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- pinch of allspice
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- small bunch of parsley, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- small bunch of coriander, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 30g sesame seeds (optional)
- sunflower oil, for frying
- warmed flatbreads, hummus, pickles, sliced radishes, mint, coriander, tahini, za’atar or chilli flakes and chilli sauce, to serve
HOW TO FREEZEYou can freeze the falafel pre- or post-frying. Either way, you’ll need to arrange them on a baking tray in a single layer, freeze until solid, then pack into food bags and label.
HOW TO DEFROSTLeave the falafel out at room temperature for 2 hrs.
HOW TO REHEATIf the falafel were frozen pre-frying, follow the recipe from step 4. If they were frozen post-frying, then bake at 200C/180C/gas 4 for 15 mins until piping hot.