Recipe by Andrew Fletcher, Executive Chef at Movenpick Jumeirah Lake Towers
- Serves 4
Nutrition per serving
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp mirin (sweet sake)
- ½ tsp sugar
- Pinch of dashi powder
- 320g cooked Japanese rice
- 2 tsp white sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Pickled ginger, to serve with
- FOR THE OKAKA FLAKES
- Handful of Katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes)
- 1 tsp soy sauce, to taste
- All ingredients available in specialty Asian stores.
Mix the miso, mirin, sugar and dashi in a small bowl.
Add the sesame seeds to the cooked rice and make 4 rice balls, then shape them into a triangle (wet your hands in water before shaping, so that the rice doesn’t stick).
Heat sesame oil in a frying pan, place the rice balls and cook on both sides on a medium-low heat until brown.
Brush the rice balls with the miso mixture and cook on both sides until it turns brown.
In a small bowl, mix the katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes) with the soy sauce. Sprinkle on top of the rice balls and serve with pickled ginger on the side.