- small handful pine nuts or flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 500g lean lamb neck fillet, cubed
- 250g basmati rice
- 1 lamb or vegetable stock cube
- 12 ready-to-eat dried apricots
- handful fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
TipMaking it lighter
Use chicken with chicken stock instead of lamb and currants instead of apricots.If you want to use a slow cooker...
Take your time over this. Toast the nuts according to step 1 and set aside. Fry the onion, cinnamon and spices together for 5-10 mins. Turn up the heat and add the lamb and fry until it changes colour. Tip into the slow cooker with the rice and stir. Pour in the water, crumble the stock cube, add the apricots and season. Cook on Low for 3-4 hours until the rice is tender. Toss in the nuts and mint to serve.