Sweet & sour bean curry
Create this veggie bean curry for an easy midweek meal – it’s healthy and low in calories and fat. It contains a mixture of black-eyed beans and butter beans
- Prep:10 mins
- Serves 4
Nutrition per serving
- kcal 199
- fat 5g
- saturates 1g
- carbs 24g
- sugars 0g
- fibre 8g
- protein 11g
- salt 0.1g
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 30g ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp medium curry powder (check it’s gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 400g can black-eyed beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g can butter beans (not drained)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp light brown soft sugar
- handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- 80g natural yogurt
- cooked rice or naan, to serve
Put the onion and ginger in a mini food processor or blender with 30ml water and blitz to a smooth paste.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion mixture and cook for 5 mins until golden. Stir in the spices and cook for a further minute.
Add the black-eyed beans and the butter beans along with the liquid from the can, plus another 50ml water, stirring to combine. Lower the heat, partially cover and cook for 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally until the beans are tender.
Stir in the lime juice and sugar, then season to taste. Stir in most of the coriander, then serve in bowls, topped with the remaining coriander, a spoonful of yogurt and with rice or naan on the side.