Smoky beef stew
By Sarah Cook
Enjoy this simple stew for dinner, then pack into boxes to keep you going for lunches
- Prep:10 mins
Nutrition per serving
- kcal 341
- fat 12g
- saturates 5g
- carbs 18g
- sugars 11g
- fibre 4g
- protein 42g
- salt 0.92g
- 1kg stewing beef, cut into large chunks
- 2 onions, chopped
- 800g (2 cans) chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp each sweet paprika, ground cumin and mild chilli powder
- 2 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 400g can butter beans, rinsed and drained
Tip3 ways to serve it
1. Wrap in soft tortillas with lettuce and soured cream. 2. Top with crumbled feta or grated cheddar and eat with wholemeal pitta or rice. 3. Add leftover cooked spuds with peas or sweetcorn to make it into a one-pot lunch.
Heat oven to 160C/ 140C fan/gas 3. Mix the beef, onions, tomatoes, spices, vinegar and sugar in a casserole dish. Cover and bake for 2½ hrs. Stir in the beans and bake for 30 mins more (with the lid off if the casserole is a little wet or lid on if good consistency), until the beef is tender.
Cool, then freeze in 6-8 portions in small food bags or plastic containers. Defrost in microwave or overnight in fridge, then heat in the morning and transfer to a thermos container, or heat in the microwave at lunchtime.