Dress this sandwich with tahini and amba sauces for a taste of Israel. It’s full of flavour, with aubergine, hummus, eggs, pickles and more
plus 48 hrs pickling
- Serves 4
- More effort
Nutrition per serving
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ½ small cucumber, diced
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1½ tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 aubergines, trimmed and sliced into 1cm rounds
- 4 pitta breads
- 4 medium hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 200g hummus
- 150g radishes, trimmed and halved if large
- 250g carrots, cut into slices on the diagonal
- 4 shallots, finely sliced
- 250g small cauliflower florets
- 500ml white wine or cider vinegar
- 3½ tbsp granulated sugar
- ¾ tbsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, bruised
- ½ tbsp coriander seeds, bruised
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red chilli, halved, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 firm mangoes, peeled and flesh chopped (about 375g)
- 50ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp light brown soft sugar
- squeeze of lime juice
- 100g tahini
To make the pickles, put all the veg in a sterilised 1-litre jar. Put the vinegar, sugar, salt and spices in a pan with 400ml water and bring to the boil. Leave to cool, then pour over the veg. Seal and leave to pickle at room temperature for 48 hrs. Will keep in the fridge for up to four weeks.
To make the amba sauce, heat the oil in a pan set over a medium heat, then cook the garlic and chilli until just soft. Tip in the spices and cook for 1 min, add the mango and stir to coat, then add the vinegar, sugar and 100ml water. Cover and simmer for 10-15 mins until the mango is soft. Season to taste and squeeze over the lime juice. Will keep in the fridge for up to one week.
For the tahini sauce, combine the ingredients with 80ml water and season to taste. It should be the consistency of double cream.
Toss the tomatoes, cucumber and spring onions with the oil, season and squeeze over the lemon juice.
Heat some olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and cook the aubergines in batches for 5-8 mins on each side until just golden. Season, then reduce the heat and continue to cook until soft.
Toast and split open the pittas, then stuff with the aubergine slices, eggs, hummus, salad, pickles and amba sauce. Drizzle over the tahini sauce to serve.