- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus an extra drizzle (optional)
- 8 large pork sausages
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- sprinkle of golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 100ml red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 400g can butter beans, drained but not rinsed
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- handful of parsley leaves, roughly chopped
DON'T RINSEDon’t rinse the beans before adding them, as the liquid contains flavour and starch, which helps to thicken the sauce.
USE LENTILSYou can also make this recipe with puy or green lentils. Add 200g lentils instead of beans, and pour over 200ml stock (vegetable or chicken) with the wine, then cook as stated (or until the lentils are soft).
TRY A COQ-AU-VIN & BUTTER BEAN ONE-POTSwap the sausages for skin-on chicken thighs – simply brown these well in the pan, in step one, instead of the sausages.
MIX IT UPCannellini, flageolet and borlotti beans or chickpeas would all work well in this dish.