Charred Brussels, beetroot & bulgur salad
Love your leftovers – use a surplus of festive Brussels and blue cheese in this throw-together, vegetarian seasonal salad that's 2 of your 5 a day
- Prep:10 mins
- Serves 2
Nutrition per serving
- kcal 732
- fat 38g
- saturates 9g
- carbs 69g
- sugars 13g
- fibre 12g
- protein 22g
- salt 0.9g
- 150g bulghar wheat, rinsed
- 200g leftover Brussels sprouts, halved
- 100g cooked beetroot, cut into wedges
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ small pack parsley, roughly chopped
- 75ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 60g blue cheese, crumbled
Put the bulghar in a small saucepan and cover with 300ml water. Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 mins or until tender. Drain.
Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan over a high heat until very hot. Cook the sprouts until char lines appear, then set aside.
Make the dressing by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl with 1 tbsp water and a little seasoning.
In a large bowl, combine the bulghar with the Brussels, beetroot, onion, tomatoes, parsley and some seasoning. Divide between bowls and drizzle with the dressing, serving extra on the side.