Often overlooked, sweet potato is a secret superhero food, with many benefits from helping support vital organs, to warding off disease
1. Sweet potato is packed full of essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals. A two hundred gram serving has more than double your daily recommend in take of vitamin A. Which plays a key role in maintaining healthy vision, clear skin, the immune system as well as helping the heart, lungs, kidneys and other organs function properly.
2. Aside from being a vital source of vitamin A, sweet potato is good all rounder providing half the recommended daily in take of essential nutrients. A serving portion provides fifty percent of your recommended daily vitamin C and manganese, and around a third of your recommended daily intake of copper, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, biotin and potassium.
3. Sweet potatoes also have a good amount of fibre (24% per 200 grams) and are a good source of carbohydrate overall, releasing energy steadily, without producing a sugar spike.
4. The bright orange colour of the vegetable comes from its high level of carotenoids (such as beta carotene). They’re a great type of antioxidant and studies show that they could help ward of some types of cancer.
5. They’re a flexible vegetable that work well with plenty of different dishes, from curries to soups and salads. For some of our favourite recipes, click here.